Thursday, July 20, 2017

Smoke and Mirrors - 44



“Then you do have the wand,” Daniel said, pouncing in Kenton’s words.

“I’ll neither confirm nor deny that until you explain why you care. I know why Mordollwen does. She craves it for herself.”

Mor nodded. “I won’t deny that I would love to be in control of it. However I strongly suspect that is no longer an option for me.”

“Never say never my dear,” Kenton replied, smiling. “If I have it, and if you prove to me that you do not plan to use it as a weapon against the humans, I just might allow you to study it. For scientific purposes only of course.”

“Of course.” Mor smiled back, trying to keep her raising excitement from showing.

“As for your original statement, why do you care about the wand, Jared? You are neither an elf nor a magic worker.”

“My partner and I,” Jared laid a hand on Daniel’s thigh, “are enforcers for the Council of the Supernaturals.”

Kenton scowled. “You want to get your hands on it so you have yet another weapon in your arsenal?”

“No, far from it,” Jared replied. “Between the two of us, we are quite capable of dealing with most problems without the help of something like that. Besides it’s my understanding that it only works on humans. Please correct me if I’m wrong.”

“You’re not,” Kenton replied succinctly.

“In that case it would do us no good anyway. We would, however, like to keep it out of the hands of a human magician, or a Supe mage or sorcerer who would like to use it as a weapon.”

“As would I.” Kenton studied each of them one by one before apparently coming to a decision. “I will tell you that the wand is in a safe place and nothing more. I’ve lived too long and seen too much betrayal, even by those I considered friends, and so far none of you rate that title.” He stood, pacing away from them before turning back. “You,” he pointed to Aidan, “can tell the court you failed in your mission.”

The shock on Aidan’s face was almost matched by the disbelief on the faces of the others in the room. “I never… I am not their lackey, Baesysti . Ask Jared. He knows.”

No comments:

Post a Comment