Wednesday, September 6, 2017

(4) When all else is lost the future still remains



Shan looked at Race and then changed the subject by asking, “Why are you living on the streets?”

“'Cause I have no home?” Race glanced away from the intensity of Shan’s stare.

“I think I could have figured that part out for myself. No family or they don’t want you around for some reason?”

“Let’s just say we had a strong difference of opinion about something and I chose to leave before they kicked me out.”

“Drugs, school or men?”

Race chewed his lip before answering. “Men, but what made you think that could have been it?”

“Instinct and knowing people. You didn’t say you were abused, so the odds were it was one of those. I almost ruled out drugs because you don’t come across as a druggie. On the other hand that could explain why you’re still on the streets at your age.”

“I’m on the streets because of the whole touching thing. It’s hard to keep a job when I might freeze or freak because of something I find out about a person.”

“So you can read more than whether or not they’re human?”

“Yeah.” Race sighed. “I can tell if they’re good people or bastards or really evil.”

Shan nodded slowly. “That could sort of throw a spanner in the works if you’re a waiter or a clerk or some such. How long have you been able to do this?”

“It started when I was seventeen. I was in an accident, went head on into a wall off my board, trying to miss some kid who raced onto the sidewalk out of nowhere. When I got out of the hospital, well even before actually, I started getting the color flashes. The doctors said that was because of the brain damage even though they couldn’t pin-point exactly why. They told me it would pass in time. It didn’t. It got stronger.”

“How did you come to the conclusion you were actually reading something true about the people you touched?”

“When it didn’t go away I tried to figure out if it meant anything, so I studied up on auras. I figured out they were the closest to what was happening with me. I learned what the colors were supposed to mean. Then I met…someone. By then I was doing my best never to touch anyone if I could help it unless I knew them well enough to know what they were like beforehand, like my folks and friends I grew up with. Anyway, there was this new guy at school and he seemed cool so I struck up a friendship with him.” Race went quiet, his face a study of varying emotions.

“And things progressed to the point where you and he wanted more than just friendship I take it,” Shan said quietly.

“Yeah, at least that’s what I thought. So one evening we were studying together and I decided I knew him well enough that it was safe to touch him. Hell I was going to do more than just touch, I wanted to kiss him. That was a big mistake. He was dark, very dark, black, muddy red and green, all indications of a very negative person even though he came across as just the opposite. I could ‘see’ his hatred, for me, for himself, for…everything. I was right because he pushed me away hard and left. Next thing I knew he was telling my folks what had happened and how disgusting it was. There was a big blow-out and I packed up and left.”

“Okay, that explains that part of things. What I’m not getting is how you can tell when someone’s not human.”

“The colors again plus I get a sense of other-worldliness for lack of a better description.”

2 comments: