Tuesday, September 12, 2017

(7) When all else is lost the future still remains



Resting his elbows on the table, Shan looked at Race seriously, asking, “Where would you go if you had your choice?”

“I don’t know,” Race replied slowly. “I’ve never been anywhere but here. There’s a whole world outside the city I’ve never seen.”

“So pick a place.”

“Umm, Baton Rouge?”

“Race you could drive there. Besides its pretty dull.” And not all that safe at the moment.  “Be daring.”

“The moon,” Race told him with a grin.

Shan laughed. “That’s a bit beyond even my powers to reach.”

“Figured. I don’t know, honest. I’d love to visit England, Italy, the mountains, the north-east, there are so many places. Maybe someday I will,” he said wistfully. “Right now though, let me do the dishes since you cooked, and then I’ll be on my way.”

“Where to? Behind some dumpster or in some squat somewhere?”

“Not behind a dumpster, that’s gross. I’ve got a couple of places I use that are safe enough.” Getting up he started clearing the table.

Shan watched him for a moment then made a decision. “You’re welcome to stay here, for the time being at least. I’ve got the room and two extra bedrooms.”

Race spun around to look at him. “You don’t even know me. I could rob you blind and then disappear, or worse yet kill you in your sleep because as far as you know that could be the real reason that man sent me here.”

Shan roared in laughter. “Race you couldn’t kill me even if you tried, and you said you can’t be compelled by anyone so I don’t think he’s planted you here to do that. As for robbing me,” he shrugged, “there isn’t anything here that can’t be replaced so if you have that in mind, have at it.”

“I don’t,” Race replied sincerely.

“Didn’t think so. Look, as I said, I’ve got the room so you’re welcome to stay. No strings attached.”

Race chewed his lip then nodded slowly. “If you’re sure.”

“I am. Come on I’ll show you round the place and you can pick which room you want to use.”

4 comments:

  1. I wonder why Baton Rouge is not safe right now? I like the interactions between Shan and Race. This has the makings of a good pairing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. And time will tell why it's not safe. *G*

      Delete