Thursday, February 15, 2018

(24) I am what I am



~Blair~

Talk about feeling like ten kinds of fool. Why had I even hinted that I thought that’s why Quinn was here at the club, sitting at my table?

So I was totally surprised when he replied with a chuckle, “Not the way you’re thinking. It’s just nice to be around people who see the joy in life.” I knew I must have looked like I didn’t believe that was the only reason because he added, “Though if I met someone who interested me, I wouldn’t turn down a chance to get to know them better in all the ways that implies.”

I looked up to find him studying me as if to see how I’d react to that.

“Do you find a lot of men who interest you?” I blurted out.

“Not all that many, no. And in all honesty, none so far that I’ve wanted to keep around for more than a few days at most. I’m old enough, and jaded enough, to know that most of the men who come to clubs like this are more interested in my body than my mind.” He must have thought about what he’d just said because his smile turned rueful. “That sounded totally conceited didn’t it?”

“You do have a nice body.” Damn, now he was going to think I’m coming on to him. Close mouth, engage brain, before I make a total ass of myself.

He leaned back, laughing, and almost fell off the chair. I guess he forgot he was sitting backwards. The look of surprise on his face had me laughing now.

“You should do that more often,” he told me once he’d regained his balance. “I have a feeling you don’t laugh a lot.”

I thought about that and nodded. “I guess I don’t. How did you know?”

“Instinct,” he replied with a chuckle. “And observation. No laugh lines.” He changed the subject suddenly, asking, “So is coming here your form of getting away and relaxing?”

“Yes, I suppose so. It lets me be my real self.” Hell, now why did I say that?

He nodded, his look turning serious. “You’re closeted?”

“I suppose…Yes. Though I suspect anyone looking at me wouldn’t have much doubt.”

“If you go around dressed like you are now, then yeah. What’s with the eye thing anyway?”

“It’s fun? Okay, so maybe a bit of an affectation too. I don’t often get to let this side of me out.”

He changed the subject on me again. “Do you dance?”

“That was a bit of a non sequitur but yes I do.”

“Good.” He stood, holding out his hand to me. After a moment’s hesitation I took it.

2 comments:

  1. Ohshitohshitohfuck!,,, I love it so very much.. rubbing my hands cannot wait for the next and probably the next 30

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure there are thirty left, but it does have a ways to go. LOL

    ReplyDelete