Sunday, February 11, 2018

Guardian Angels - If It's Fated… (4)



Tim almost cheered when he looked out the front window the next morning and saw sunshine. Not that the snow would melt anytime soon but at least it had stopped, and hopefully the sidewalks would be shoveled. He got dressed quickly, made breakfast, and then flicked on the TV to check the temperature. Surfing the channels, he hit one of the two local stations just in time for the last of the morning news. "Thirty-two? Not so bad." Turning it off, he grabbed his scarf, wrapping it around his neck, put on his coat and gloves, and with his backpack slung over one shoulder, took off.
The sunlight glared off the snow, causing him to blink a few times before his eyes got used to it. The apartment building's sidewalks were already shoveled, as were most of the ones he saw ahead of him for the next block, until the he reached the main cross street. There, because the buildings were primarily businesses—some of which didn't open until ten or later—he would have had to follow the path beaten down by earlier pedestrians if he was going to work. Being his day off, he wasn't.
But who cares? At least it's not snowing and from the look of it, it's not going to today.
He walked into the local coffee shop on the corner to get his usual morning Americano. Much to his surprise, the barista greeted him with a cheerful 'Good morning'. Tim looked around, figuring it must have been meant for someone else but at the moment, he was the only one at the counter.
"Morning," he replied.
"Your usual?" the barista asked.
"Americano, yes."
"What's that?" someone asked from behind him.
Tim turned to find Dom standing there. "You don't know?"
Dom chuckled. "Wouldn't have asked if I did."
"It's… well… basically, watered down espresso."
"Why water it down?"
"Because it tastes better than just coffee, but isn't as strong as pure espresso."
Dom looked at the barista, saying "I'll take one too, and one of those." He pointed to a breakfast sandwich in the case beside the counter. "No food in the apartment yet," he explained to Tim. "I guess that should go to the top of my list of things to do. Speaking of which, I'm glad I ran into you. I have a favor to ask, when you have the time."
"I have the time now, so ask away," Tim replied with a small smile.
"Okay, I guess I didn't phrase that quite right. I could use your help, if you're willing. I want to go to that thrift shop you mentioned and I thought maybe you could take me there—and perhaps help me choose some furniture?"
Tim swallowed hard. He's really asking me to help him? Me? "Umm… sure, I guess. Now? I'm off today."
"I wish I was," Dom said with a rueful smile. "How about late this afternoon, if it doesn't start snowing again? Do you know if they deliver?"
Tim nodded. "Yes. Or I guess I should say they did when I shopped there, so…"
"Got the picture. Let's hope they still do. I don't see myself carrying a sofa home on my back."
"I don't think that's possible," Tim replied seriously.
Dom laughed. "I was just kidding. Actually, I'd think I'll rent a truck. Then I won't have to wait for stuff to be delivered."
"Ah, umm, yeah." Tim felt stupid that he didn't get Dom's joke, so he was glad when the barista handed him is Americano. After paying for it, he told Dom, "I have to get going, but if you want to do it this evening… around five?"
"Sure, that works for me. I'll see you then."

* * * *

"He's not going to show up," Tim muttered morosely.
He glanced at the time and saw it was just past five-thirty. He probably found the shop on his own and… and someone he works with has a truck and offered to help him. Story of my life. No one really means what they say.
He dropped down on the sofa, suddenly not the least bit hungry, even though he'd planned on suggesting he could fix a quick meal for both of them before they went to the thrift store. "Dreamer," he said, shaking his head. "He told me this morning he had to go shopping for groceries. He probably did that right after work, got home, made supper then went to meet his friend."
Laying his head against the back of the sofa, he stared up at the ceiling. Why do I do this to myself? Why do I believe someone might want to be my friend? It's never happened before. Not really. Acquaintances, yeah, occasionally. Some regulars at the library who makes it a point to ask me about books. A tenant or two here. The ones who bother to talk to me in the elevator. That's it. I'm about as…as useful as…as that damned picture. With his head on the back of the sofa, he was able to squint up at it, seeing it upside down. I fill a space, just like it does. If I wasn't there, no one would even notice.
He closed his eyes, imagining what it would be like to just drift off to sleep and never wake up. "Peaceful," he whispered. "No more pain, no more rejection, no more…anything."
A sharp rap at the door startled him out of his reverie. He sprang to his feet, hurrying over to answer it then stopped before he did. Why bother? If it is him, he'll apologize, say he found the shop without my help and got his friend with the truck to help him move what he bought into his apartment. But maybe…
"Hi" Dom said, smiling when Tim opened the door. "Sorry I'm so late but it took forever at the truck rental place and I didn't have your number, so I couldn't call you."
"Oh." Tim felt a wave of relief wash over him. "I… I figured you'd gotten a friend to help you and… well…"
Dom leaned against the doorframe, shaking his head. "You're the only friend I've made so far since I got here. So…" When Tim just stood there, Dom added, "It's pretty cold outside. You might want to put on a jacket. I mean… if you're still willing to help me."
"I am!" Tim turned, dashing to get his coat and gloves.

2 comments: